Wisconsin Public Television
Official Title: Associate Development Specialist
Unit: Wisconsin Public Television, University of Wisconsin-Extension
Location: Madison, WI
Deadline: This position is open until filled
The Membership Specialist will manage WPT’s ongoing monthly giving program (sustainers), oversee processing of direct mail gifts, administer alternative giving platforms, execute and evaluate email fundraising campaigns, and provide back-up support for other development professionals within the work unit. This position supervises the Membership Assistant (60% position).
- Sustainer (Ongoing Monthly Giving) Program
- Develop and implement retention and re-capture strategies for ongoing monthly giving, including e-mail, mail and inbound and outbound telephone campaigns. Monitor monthly giving statistics to identify trends and strategic opportunities to and project future revenue.
- Serve as central staff resource for Sustainer giving policies.
- In cooperation with Annual Giving Manager, implement strategies to upgrade monthly giving amounts and increase giving by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- Lead exemplary member service for WPT Sustainers, working closely with Audience Services, Volunteer Manager and other Development colleagues. Resolve escalated issues and address requests from members, communicating directly with members as needed.
- Develop and implement data quality control mechanisms for Sustaining membership accounts.
- Process Sustainer gifts by credit card and EFT promptly and with an exceptional degree of accuracy.
- Carry out Sustainer acknowledgements, including processing data for annual giving acknowledgement letters and coordinating mailing of welcome cards to new Sustainers.
- Execute the year-end autorenewal process for all sustaining memberships.
- General Membership
- Supervise gift processing, installment mailings and other operational support tasks carried out by part-time support staff. Provide support as needed during vacations and high-volume periods.
- Manage alternative individual giving programs:
- Matching Gifts. Respond to matching gift requests. Communicate with matching organizations and members to ensure that WPT maximizes opportunities for gift matching and meets all donor expectations.
- Vehicle Donations. Work with Friends of WPT Finance Manager to reconcile vendor revenue statements. Process vehicle donation transactions and ensure that members are acknowledged as appropriate.
- Third-Party Giving. Manage contributions received through third-party giving platforms, such as payroll deduction services. Develop and communicate related policies to Membership and Audience Services staff. Ensure that donors receive appropriate credit and acknowledgement for gifts through third-party platforms.
- Supervise volunteer data entry during on-air pledge drives, filling assigned shifts as needed each drive.
- Serve as back-up to Fundraising Information Systems Manager, including providing regular shift coverage for data management processes during on-air pledge drives and maintaining the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out regular data management operations to support general membership fundraising efforts as needed.
- Email Fundraising Campaigns
- Prepare content for renewal and additional gift email campaigns.
- Manage email list uploads and schedule emails, coordinating email fundraising calendar to augment mail campaign response.
- Evaluate results of email fundraising campaigns make adjustments to increase effectiveness.
- Research and implement best practices for email fundraising.
- Supervise Membership Assistant
- Create work plans, communicate campaign scheduling and deadlines, and coordinate with colleagues to set the Membership Assistant’s weekly hours supporting retail sales and thank-you gift fulfillment.
- Coordinate training and provide ongoing coaching.
- Provide timely performance feedback and a formal, written performance evaluation annually.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Process membership transactions, manipulate data and manage member records with exceptional accuracy and timeliness to meet deadlines, handling data with discretion using data security protocols.
- Use software for communication and data processing.
- Identify, analyze and address opportunities to streamline processes, provide improved service to members and increase fundraising revenue.
- Collaborate productively and professionally with staff, volunteers, members and others.
- Provide customer service of the highest quality (phone, email and in-person). Communicate positively and effectively with members, volunteers and staff about Wisconsin Public Television and the value of public broadcasting.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends during pledge drives and other peak times.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years of related experience. This could be obtained either through paid employment or substantial, responsible volunteer involvement.
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively with a wide range of people, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational ability to manage thousands of time-sensitive member transactions and interactions annually.
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills to solve problems and manage and improve revenue-generating activities
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends during fundraising events and times of peak activity.
- Resiliency to adjust to a fluid work environment, juggle multiple priorities and manage stress.
- Ability to carry out tasks and meet deadlines independently.
- Interpersonal skills to cooperate productively with a work team.
- Commitment to respectful, open workplace communications.
- Success in encouraging and supporting an inclusive and diverse working climate.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word (e.g. mail merges) or Excel (advanced functions)
- Experience with Filemaker Pro or similar relational databases.
- Experience managing records and/or transactions in a nonprofit constituent relationship management system (e.g. Team Approach, Raiser’s Edge, etc).
- Experience in public broadcasting fundraising, either paid or as a volunteer.
Salary: We expect to pay in the mid-high 40s but actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
How to apply: Please submit your application through our applicant portal: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu. This position is open until filled. Please submit: a cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, along with a detailed resume; and a list of three references including email addresses; at least one must be a supervisory reference. Questions? Contact: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact the person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.