Official Title: Broadcasting Specialist
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
The Video Promotion Producer is responsible for the production of on-air promotion spots, other station break material and special-purpose videos. Activities include managing and producing projects from concept through completion, often including writing, production, and editing. The Video Promotion Producer works independently and collaborates with others. This position is part of the communication staff responsible for developing and presenting clear, consistent and effective communication about Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) in all media. Some night/weekend work is required. Reports to the Video Promotion Manager.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write, produce, and edit on-air promos and other station break material for WPT, its programs, series, and projects. This includes working with other staff to establish goals and create finished products.
- Create promo elements, spots, and packages for television. Use and build from existing materials when applicable.
- Localize, brand, and version media from in-house and external sources.
- Prepare and deliver media for broadcast.
- Work in assigned teams on long-term image campaigns for WPT, its programs and projects; produce broadcast and non-broadcast video as determined by needs of the project and WPT.
- Write, produce and edit special-purpose videos including program opens and other material, marketing presentations, fundraising videos, and other projects.
- Keep organized records and digital archives of projects.
- Coordinate and schedule in-house production services as necessary.
- Perform routine departmental activities.
- Effectively engage diverse populations and experiences, and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships and interactions.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while editing including extended workdays or work weeks when on deadline.
- Fine motor coordination to effectively manipulate edit controls, clearly see monitors, hear all audio including delicate nuances, and see video and audio level monitors
- Job requires some travel, primarily within the state of Wisconsin.
- Collaboration skills to achieve a successful work product with team members who may have divergent opinions.
- Persistence and resilience in the face of delays or changes.
- Education/training normally acquired by attending a university, technical or vocational college.
- 3 or more years of professional video production experience.
- Experience effectively using voice over, sound bites, nat sound, video, music, sound effects and graphic elements to create accurate and effective promotional media.
- Hands-on writing and video/audio editing experience.
- Record of consistently meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, in teams, and with direction from a client.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to learn, and a pro-active approach.
- Excellent computer skills.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with promotional or commercial spot production.
- Experience in television broadcasting.
- Experience with Avid Media Composer, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop.
- Experience with video shoot direction, sound design, audio production, broadcast design, graphic animation.
- Experience shooting video.
- Knowledge of copyright protocol.
SALARY: We expect to pay in the mid- to high 40s with actual pay dependent upon experience and qualifications. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package. The overview of benefits can be seen here: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/
HOW TO APPLY: To ensure consideration, please apply through www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 3/2/18. This is job #14013. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. Please include a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position; a resume; a digital file or link to at least 4 examples of your video promo, production, and editing work showing different stylistic message treatments; indicate your role for each video example; and a list including email addresses for 3 references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-262-5221; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPR is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPR is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.