Working Title: Television Engineer
Official Title: Electronics Technician, Media – Senior , University Staff, 100% FTE
Unit: Wisconsin Public Television (WPT)
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled, for best consideration apply by 02/11/2019
This position is responsible for the preparation and operation of technical production equipment and software pertaining to audio and video editing. The Television Engineer will perform technical quality control evaluations to assure compliance with FCC, PBS, and WPT technical standards. This position researches, designs and integrates new equipment into existing video and computer file-based systems to meet interdepartmental needs. The Engineer will also have equipment maintenance responsibilities including installing, repairing, and maintaining studio/remote/field equipment associated with the WPT production facilities. Reports to Remote Truck Supervisor.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up and mix audio, operate media recording/playback devices, microphones, and other equipment used in the recording, sweetening, and editing of sound for program production.
- Select and set up microphones. Prepare studio and remote mixing consoles for recordings and live productions.
- Install and maintain computer-based audio/video equipment.
- Electronically edit (independently or with a producer) program segments or programs using field footage, or pre-produced segments, along with special effects from various sources.
- Assist and train other editors in maintaining and advancing their computer-based editing, technical, and creative skills.
- Set up and operate broadcast-quality cameras, video production switchers, digital video recorders, video servers, transcoders, and other specialized support equipment for production.
- Perform corrective and preventive maintenance on various electronic systems and devices.
- Lead projects including, but not limited to, installation, set-ups, documentation, training and education on new equipment.
- Set up and maintain computer-based non-linear edit systems and computer-based media file servers.
- Comply with Wisconsin Public Media Code of Ethics for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu
- Demonstrate commitment and respect to supporting diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Actively participate in Department and Station Staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as apparent or assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- This position requires the ability to possess and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or to have the ability to obtain an unrestricted CDL in order to drive the WPT remote truck.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds when working with cameras and other equipment.
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to use a computer for editing as well as to document changes made in systems and hardware.
- Occasionally work non-standard work hours to facilitate editing and production.
- At least 2 years of technical experience with video and audio production, including in-depth knowledge of audio recording, engineering and mixing as well as experience editing broadcast or other professional video stories, reports or projects using Adobe Premiere, Avid or similar computerized editing system.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, including the ability maintain a calm and professional demeanor in stressful, deadline based, conditions.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and change focus quickly while maintaining accuracy, efficiency and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, work independently and work in teams.
- Track record of consistently meeting all deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, a desire to learn, and a pro-active attitude.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel as productions warrant.
Not Required but Desirable Qualifications
- Knowledge of public media, such as might be gained from past employment, volunteering, or other engagement with our services and mission.
- Knowledge of, or experience with, studio and remote production lighting.
SALARY: This is an hourly position with some overtime possible. We expect to pay in the mid-40,000s (on a full-time basis) with actual pay dependent upon qualifications and experience. The University of Wisconsin offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please apply by Feb. 11, 2019 through https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. This is Job ID# 15177. Please include a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, a resume; and a list of three to five professional references with contact information including email address.
Questions? Contact: Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-262-5221; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
University policy requires that you and your references answer questions regarding any active or confirmed investigations of sexual violence or sexual harassment in your work history.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact the person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.