Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled, for best consideration apply by March 8, 2019
Produce original broadcast and non-broadcast content for a variety of media platforms. Engage Wisconsin Public Television audience through broadcast video, digital and social media. Versatility and the ability work in a range of video formats – short-form, digital content, long-form broadcast productions - is essential. This position requires an extensive knowledge of video media production, the ability to work collaboratively as well as independently utilizing excellent creative, organizational and communication skills, the ability to lead and participate in teams, and manage complex projects. It is expected that the work of this position will contribute to a variety of production units within WPT. This position reports to the Executive Producer of Production Services.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Produce video productions tailored for a variety of platforms for WPT and WPT clients and partners. Create and monitor budgets, production timelines, and all related project contracts and rights; write scripts, oversee post-production, graphic and production design, and craft and publish related online content. Manage multiple versions of projects (e.g., broadcast program, DVD, online) when appropriate.
- Communicate effectively and professionally; handle multiple projects, priorities and deadlines. Work efficiently, creatively, professionally and calmly in high energy, deadline-based environment. Demonstrated ability to work independently and develop suitable solutions within established time frame.
- Proficiently execute a variety of video media production skills, including at least one of the following: editing, shooting, social media production or studio production.
- Work with program partners, venue personnel, and WPT staff to determine best strategies for coverage, presentation and delivery of content. Closely collaborate with all WPT departments, including the social media manager, digital manager and other executive producers to create public interaction and dissemination of engaging content through digital and social media.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Uphold and maintain Ethical Guidelines applicable to Wisconsin Public Media editorial staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Creative video storytelling skills combined with editorial judgment. Ability to engage in high-level research and production on original and creative topics for story and project development, incorporating high level and innovative production techniques.
- Ability to assess visual and aural elements for video production.
- Work collaboratively, as well as independently, utilizing excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time including extended workdays or work weeks when on deadline.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel as projects warrant.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience must include 3 or more years of video producing.
- Technical knowledge of media production that includes at least one of the following: editing, shooting, social media production or studio production.
- A desire to learn, and a pro-active attitude.
- Creative, engaging and clear writing/scripting for broadcast, web and social media audiences
- Track record of consistently meeting all deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with tact, diplomacy and professionalism when representing WPT to clients, partners, and the general public.
- Knowledge of basic journalistic ethics and editorial principles.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (NOT REQUIRED – IF NECESSARY WILL LEARN ON THE JOB):
- Technical knowledge of these forms of video media production, including: shooting, social media production and live studio event production. Non-linear video editing using Avid Media Composer, Adobe Creative Cloud, or equivalent non-linear editing systems.
- Familiarity or experience with public media.
- Knowledge of Wisconsin.
We expect to pay in the $40,000’s to low $50,000 range with actual pay dependent upon qualifications, experience, and official title. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package; more information is available at https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please apply by March 8, 2019 at: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. This is Job ID# 15620. Please include a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, a resume, a digital file or link to 3-4 examples of your production work - include a notation of what you did for each sample, and a list of three to five professional references with contact information including email address.
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact the person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.