WISCONSIN PUBLIC TELEVISION
Official Title: Associate or No-Prefix Broadcasting Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled, for best consideration apply by 10/11/17
Produce original news content for a variety of media platforms in collaboration with Wisconsin Public Television’s team of digital and broadcast news journalist. Engage WPT audience through digital, broadcast and social media. This position reports to the Executive Producer of News and Public Affairs.
- Produce and publish content (drawn from multiple internal and external sources) for fast turnaround publishing to WPT’s digital platforms; this includes some original reporting. Integrate images, audio, video, links to other resources and other content as appropriate.
- Create multimedia presentations using content that could include photo slideshows, graphics, data visualization, tables, extra audio, video, sidebar stories, etc.
- Closely collaborate with WPT’s social media manager, digital manager and E.P. of News and Public Affairs to create public interaction and dissemination of engaging content through social media.
- Create/contribute content to other public media digital properties, such as WisContext, Wisconsin Vote, Wisconsin Life, WPT Education, etc. Closely collaborate with staff of those projects.
- Reliably communicate to colleagues to coordinate production needs for assigned projects.
- Stay current on best practices in broadcast and online journalism and recommend ways to enhance WPT’s offerings. Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across the state.
- Assist in production of WPT’s broadcast news and public affairs content for Here & Now and other projects; including research for news stories, pre-interview and schedule guests, write show scripts.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Knowledge of and strict adherence to high journalistic standards with skill in all facets of digital news production, including knowledge of AP style writing, copyediting, photography and photo editing, and audio/visual production.
- Aural and visual acuity to capture and edit pictures/video/sound for digital platforms.
- Ability to work for sustained periods at computer work station.
- Ability to travel – with occasional overnights – for work.
- Must be available to work weekdays, some evenings and weekends as needed, in support of major activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 or more years demonstrated experience working directly in digital journalism. (Work performed in school can be counted toward experience.)
- Demonstrated ability in using images, links, graphics, etc., to help tell a story online.
- Strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail when creating and reviewing content.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and successfully with people from diverse backgrounds and groups and to support diversity in the workplace.
- Able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Cloud programs such as Photoshop, Audition and Premiere (or equivalent programs.)
- Experience working within a CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of Wisconsin current events and issues.
- Proven ability to work in both independent and collaborative settings.
- Experience producing broadcast news content.
- Experience shooting, editing and working with online video and audio.
- Knowledge of best practices when creating and disseminating content for different digital platforms
We expect to pay in the $40-$50k range with actual pay dependent upon qualifications, experience, and official title. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package; more information is available at https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application through our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 10/11/17. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete: A cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, along with a detailed resume; a digital file or link to 3-4 examples of your writing work; include a notation of what you did for each sample; and a list of three references including email addresses; at least one must be a supervisory reference.
Questions? Contact: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.