Wisconsin Public Television
Official Title: Associate Television Artist
Position Type: Academic Staff 100% appointment
Location: Madison, WI
Availability: Open until filled; for best consideration, please respond by 9/11/17
The Motion Graphics Designer is responsible for the design, creation, development and implementation of production design components and motion graphics for a variety of broadcast, online and other non-broadcast projects. This includes utilizing excellent design and creative skills as well as operating video design and production equipment. This position also assists with the design, creation, editing (audio and video), and delivery of on-air grantor (funder) spots in collaboration with the Video Promotions Department. This position reports to the Motion Graphics Manager and is also responsive to the Video Promotions Manager for grantor work.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consult with producers, directors, and other staff to understand project message and goals; then creatively and effectively design and create production graphics and animations for segments and shows using Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, and other Macintosh based software.
- Operate Macintosh, Chyron (Chyron training available) and other systems for broadcast and non-broadcast projects; this includes operating Chyron Duet and other systems for live and post-produced shows.
- Work in collaboration with producers, directors and others to edit and organize graphics. Keep organized records and files of projects and maintain backups of all projects.
- Work collaboratively as well as independently, utilizing excellent organizational and communication skills. Communicate graphics timelines and meet all project deadlines. Meet routinely with Motion Graphics Manager to share progress reports on projects and foster open communication in the unit.
- Design, create, edit (audio and video), and deliver on-air grantor (funder) spots as assigned. Work closely with Video Promotions Manager and lead grantor producer on workflow and systems for grantor production.
- Work quickly, creatively, professionally and calmly in high energy, deadline-based environment including on live-broadcast productions. Work schedule may sometimes include evening, weekend and occasional overnight assignments.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work effectively and productively both independently and on a team to create visuals for diverse projects, accepting direction from a range of producers.
- Creatively envision and articulate project design ideas.
- Ability to effectively operate in a MacIntosh and PC computer environment and sit for long periods of time.
- Calm and resourceful responses when challenges occur, or when schedule is unexpectedly disrupted and when under tight deadlines
- A combination of education and experience that includes 2 or more years of professional design and editing experience.
- Skilled in effectively using the Adobe Suite of software, including Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Knowledge of how to use motion graphics software.
- Ability to use video editing software, such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, or equivalent non-linear editing systems.
- Strong design and typography skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate and communicate with individuals and groups at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility with the ability to effectively manage priorities, multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends or travel overnight throughout Wisconsin as necessary.
- A demonstrated sense of visual timing in editing and motion graphics.
NOT REQUIRED, BUT DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with promo or commercial spot production
- Videography experience.
- Video storyteller, reporter, scriptwriter, interviewer or field producer experience.
- Audio recording skills.
- Experience with live graphics production and/or character generator equipment such as the Chyron system.
- A belief in the mission of public media.
We expect to pay between $40,000-$48,000 with actual pay dependent upon experience and qualifications. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
For best consideration, external applicants may submit all application materials online at our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 9/11/17. Search for job ID #18009. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. Please include: A resume and a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position; and a list of three professional references with contact information including e-mail. In addition, submit a digital file or link to at least 3-4 examples from your reel. We want to see examples of your design, typography, motion graphics, and editing work. Examples of videography and live events are also welcome. Be sure to include a notation of your role for each sample.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-263-0477; firstname.lastname@example.org.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.