Official Title: Associate or Intermediate Administrative Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
This Executive Assistant position provides a broad range of high level and confidential administrative support to the Director of Wisconsin Public Media (WPM) and Wisconsin Public Television (WPT), along with WPT’s Chief Operating Officer. This includes meeting planning, coordination and logistics. Tracking of staff travel, project coordination, budget/spending tracking and approvals. Initiates the communication and coordination of follow-up activities among those staff who report to the Directors. Serves as liaison between WPM and its partners, WPT, WPR, UW Madison and the Educational Communications Board (ECB) for administrative reporting and approval activities.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates communication, serves as liaison, and works effectively with offices at System Administration, the UW Madison Chancellor’s office and other senior leadership at UW Madison along with community leaders on behalf of the Directors to facilitate coordination of joint activities relating to WPM and WPT.
- Organizes and manages the Directors’ communications. Reads, prioritizes, and directs requests and information to other individuals as appropriate. Monitors the Directors’ email accounts to coordinate schedules, including highly confidential information. Manages and responds to personal inquiries for the Directors; maintains schedules and calendars as well as coordinates and attends senior management team meetings for WPM and WPT. Routes information from Directors’ offices to appropriate units.
- Arranges meetings for both Directors and WPT senior and other staff. This includes anticipating and independently securing the necessary facilities and amenities for meetings, both on site and off site. Serves as liaison to high profile WPT and WPM visitors including confirming itineraries and assisting in travel arrangements. Coordinates and manages necessary arrangements for the Directors including airline, lodging and meeting schedules at their destinations; prepares and processes expense reports. Coordinates occasional requests for travel for WPT senior staff including registration, arranging travel, and expense reimbursement ensuring all such requests satisfy relevant station and UW travel policies and procedures.
- Provides administrative support to search and screen committees in the recruitment process as requested. Schedules interviews, arranges travel and coordinates expense reimbursement as needed for applicants.
- Collects WPT staff appointment and/or salary letters. Collects WPT employee evaluation forms and annual Outside Activities Reports for all WPM employees.
- Provides administrative support to the WPM and WPT Leadership teams including scheduling meetings, taking meeting notes, compiling and maintaining planning documents, and following up as needed.
- Serves as liaison between the WPM Director’s office and UW Madison offices for administrative reporting and approval activities and between WPT and its joint venture partners. Serves on Madison and WPT committees.
- Plans and schedule employee appreciation events including annual WPM employee holiday event, and annual WPM tailgate/football game with UW Presidents’ office.
- Handles logistics and participate in annual Advocacy planning work both Federal and State level.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Complies with UW, Madison, and Public Media code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Communicate effectively and use discretion and tact to handle a range of confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong planning and organizational skills to effectively manage multiple and competing tasks and priorities.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and other computer software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, FileMaker Pro).
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate reports, schedules and records.
- Plan, schedule and arrange logistics for local, regional and state-wide projects and conferences.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent with at least two years of full-time work experience or equivalent performing complex administrative duties in an office environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as partners.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact, discretion and diplomacy.
- Detail oriented with the ability to compose, prepare and proof materials effectively.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to take initiative, establish priorities, and manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to create and maintain sound administrative and financial records, gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports.
- Ability to operate office equipment with skill in the use of Microsoft Office applications and ability to use audio and video conferencing technology.
- Commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Desired but Not Required Qualifications
- Knowledge/understanding of UW System.
- Sense of humor and flexible approach to work.
We expect to pay in the 40s with actual pay dependent on qualifications, experience, and official title. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer-paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
How to apply
To ensure consideration, please submit your application through our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 5/11/18. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. This is job ID #14249. Please submit: A cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, along with a detailed resume; and a list of three references including email addresses; at least one must be a supervisory reference.
Questions? Contact: Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact the person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.