Working Title: Education Producer
Official Title: Associate Administrative Program Specialist
Location: Madison, WI
Availability: For best consideration, please apply by 12/20/18
The Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) Education Producer reports to the Executive Producer (EP) of Classroom Media and works with the EP, WPT education staff, producers, and partners to create and disseminate high quality, standards-based, K-12 educational assets and curriculum components that meet the needs of Wisconsin educators and inspire students to engage and learn.
- Develop and create high-quality media resources for K-12 classroom use.
- Design and coordinate projects to ensure materials align with academic standards currently in use in Wisconsin.
- Work collaboratively with WPT staff and resources (such as videographers, editors, animators, illustrators, and others) as needed to produce content.
- Help nurture teacher and student advisory boards, and work on systems that facilitate teacher and student collaboration on ideating, developing, testing, and evaluating WPT educational content.
- Write and edit scripts for videos, animations, interactives, or other media assets.
- Write and edit student activities, instructional guides, and educator support materials.
- As needed, contract with and guide freelance content developers, writers, and other personnel.
- Collaborate with WPT Production, Online, Community Engagement, Communications, Design, and other WPT units on workflow processes that ensure the successful creation and dissemination of assets for educational use.
- Coordinate and adhere to project budgets, contracts, and license agreements when creating resources.
- Assist in documenting project effectiveness, including obtaining, compiling, and analyzing feedback and evaluations.
- Participate in fundraising and/or partnership development for educational work by researching, providing writing assistance on grant proposals, and making in-person presentations as needed.
- Continue to build knowledge of and proficiency with media and technologies and their potential for serving students and teachers.
- Expand knowledge of educational standards, pedagogy, and trends, researching best practices in educational media to achieve goals and objectives.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Listening, speaking, writing, and collaboration skills to work effectively with colleagues across departments and partner organizations.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, create and provide oversight of multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time including extended workdays or work weeks when on deadline or managing events.
- Calm and resourceful responses when challenges occur, or when the schedule is unexpectedly disrupted and when under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- At least 2 years of media creation or producing experience.
- Experience designing materials that facilitate learning.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing multiple projects, including planning, budget development, project implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to manage multiple communication streams, and be timely and thoughtful with follow up communication.
- Demonstrated interest in educational content and passion for learning.
- A desire to learn, a proactive attitude, and an ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Strong computer and online skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and work independently, as well as work collaboratively and cooperatively in teams.
- Demonstrated support of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Ability to travel around Wisconsin to create, steward, and collaborate with WPT Education partners, educators, and school districts as projects warrant.
Preferred but not Required Qualifications
- Knowledge of teacher resources and how teachers access resources; understanding of school and classroom environments, familiarity with educational technology, and with Wisconsin education policy and standards.
- Degree in K-12 education.
- Experience serving middle and high school aged learners.
- Familiarity or experience with public media.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
We expect to pay in the mid $40,000s to low $50s annually with actual pay dependent on experience, official title, and skills. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package; for more information see: Faculty, Academic Staff & Limited Appointees.
How to Apply
For best consideration, please apply to our applicant portal www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 12/20/18. If you are a current UW system employee use this link: http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. The job number is 15036. Please submit: 1. A detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position; 2. A resume; 3. A document with links to a portfolio of media or producing projects, and a short description for each, including your roles and responsibilities per project; and 4. A list of three professional (one supervisory) references with contact information.
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-263-0477; firstname.lastname@example.org.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on the establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact: email@example.com.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.