This position works as a key part of Wisconsin Public Television’s promotion department, developing communication strategies and fulfilling the tactical implementation of full campaigns and stand-alone projects: writing for promotional campaigns, Airwaves Magazine, online content, corporate communication efforts, email marketing, social media, and other promotional and marketing needs. Reports to the Promotion Manager.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://jobs.wisc.edu/ by 7/12/19. The job number is 99327-AS. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete: 1) Resume; 2) A cover letter describing how your experience relates to the job duties and minimum and desirable qualifications; 3) Two writing samples that demonstrate your ability to effectively communicate across different platforms; 4) At least three professional references including e-mail and phone contact information (at least one must be a supervisory reference).
Questions? Contact: Erin Cook, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI, 53706; 608-263-0477, email@example.com.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Perform writing and promotion duties for WPT projects.
- Manage communication strategies for full campaigns and stand-alone projects from Wisconsin Public Television as assigned by Promotion Manager. For this position, promotion of Wisconsin Life will be a key project, with other responsibilities around Quilt Expo and other WPT projects, including arts, news, education, and event-related programs and projects.
- Coordinate with Promotion Manager and other staff within WPT to meet goals and deadlines for creation, production, purchasing, and delivery. Utilize new and traditional media in these strategies to meet WPT's communication goals, reach the proper audiences for each project, and consistently represent WPT in the best light possible.
- Develop promotion strategies for projects, complete writing and editing of publicity materials for assigned projects, including news releases, publications, other print pieces, special and promotional events’ supportive materials, web and email communication, and advertising.
- Maintain and implement a current and updated knowledge of branding and new media communication.
- Monitor and evaluate media appearances, clipping, and recognition in external publications.
- Coordinate communication strategies for nationally distributed projects as required.
Participate in Production of Airwaves Member Magazine
- Write for Airwaves as directed by Airwaves editor.
- Help with editing and proofreading of member magazine.
Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: https://wpt4.org/about-wpt/.
Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION:
Bachelor's Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
- 1 year of relevant experience in public relations, communication, mass media, or related field.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong and proven editing skills, with knowledge of current Associated Press Stylebook guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail when creating and reviewing content.
- Problem solving ability to work proactively and independently with limited direction.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously on deadline.
- Skills, confidence, and demeanor to collaborate with a wide variety of staff across department lines.
- Previous public broadcasting experience.
- Ability to work non-standard hours in support of major activities and emergencies.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing and promotion plans for major events.
- Understanding of both traditional and new media.
Expected salary range for this position is $39,000-44,000. Actual pay and title will depend on experience and qualifications.