PBS KIDS Writers Contest Rules 2015
MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is produced by PBS (the “Contest” or “Promotion”) and based on the Reading Rainbow® Young Writers and Illustrators Contest, a concept developed by WNED. The Contest begins on or about January 1, 2015 and ends with the announcement of national winners on or about July 15, 2015. This Contest consists of two (2) rounds of judging: (1) the local judging, and (2) the national judging. To enter, you must first be judged by local station or Independent Pool judging for a chance to move on to the national judging. To enter the Contest for local judging, you may submit your Entry to either (1) your participating local PBS station; or (2) if you don’t have a participating local PBS station, you may enter the Independent Pool by submitting your entry to: WNED PBS KIDS Writers Contest/Independent Entry, 140 Lower Terrace, Buffalo, NY 14202. All entries to the Independent Pool must be postmarked by March 20, 2015 and received by March 30, 2015 to be eligible. Contact your local participating PBS station for other exact local judging deadlines. The grand prize winner for each grade in each local judging round will automatically be submitted for national judging by the local station. PLEASE NOTE: The only way to be eligible for the national judging round is to be deemed a grand prize winner in one of the Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade categories in the local station or Independent Pool judging round of this Contest. These Contest rules are subject to modification by PBS & WNED at their discretion. This Contest is void where prohibited. Sponsored by Public Broadcasting Service (“Sponsor” or “PBS”) located at 2100 Crystal Dr., Arlington, VA 22202 and coordinated by WNED located at 140 Lower Terrace St. Buffalo, NY 14202. PLEASE NOTE: LOCAL WINNERS DO NOT WIN A NATIONAL PRIZE UNLESS THEY WIN IN THE NATIONAL JUDGING ROUND.
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines
• Entrants must be children in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
• Children of employees of PBS, PBS stations or their affiliates, sales representatives, subsidiaries or parent companies, advertising/sales promotion agencies, and judges are not eligible.
• To be eligible, an entrant must be a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and D.C. (excluding Puerto Rico, USVI and American Samoa). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.• Only one entry per person will be accepted in this Contest; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
• Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
• Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
• Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest.
• No purchase is necessary. Many will enter, few will win.
Word Count Requirement
• Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
• Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
• The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
• Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
• Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
• Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages.
• Non-English text must be translated on the same page and the translated text (English text) must adhere to word count.
• Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Illustrations
• Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
• Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
• Stories submitted by mail must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
Official Entry Form
• Each entry must include the official PBS KIDS Writers Contest Entry Form, with the required signature of a parent/guardian (and, if appropriate, the optional signature of the sponsoring teacher), consenting to allowing their child/ward to enter the Contest, confirming that the story and art are original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
• The entry form must be complete and legible to be eligible.
Judging, Awards & Notification
All entries submitted in the local judging and Independent Pool round of the Contest will be judged using the judging criteria and percentages below by a panel of judges from each local PBS station and at WNED for those entries in the Independent Pool. The entry with the highest percentage in each grade from each local station and Independent Pool will be deemed the grand prize winner for that grade at that participating local station and the Independent Pool. Each grand prize winner’s entry at local stations and the Independent Pool will be automatically sent to be re-judged in the national judging round of the Contest. Judging for each local judging round of the Contest will occur on the dates as set forth by each local PBS station, or on or about April 30th for the general local station. Judging for the national judging round of the Contest will occur on or about May 8th. PBS will empanel a jury of no fewer than 3 judges to judge all entries for the national judging round of the Contest. The judging criteria and percentages used by any judging in connection with national judging round of the Contest shall be scored and graded using a rubric based on the following criteria as follows:
• 40% Creativity and originality of plot and/or themes,
• 40% Story structure and use of literary devices,
• 20% Relevance, quality and originality of illustration
All decisions of the judges are final and binding and not subject to appeal or review. For the national judging round of the Contest, winners will be as follows: (1) the entry with the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the First Place winners; (2) the entry the second to the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the Second Place winners (3) the entry with the third to the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the Third Place winners. In the event of a tie for the national judging round of the Contest, the entry with the highest score in the creativity and originality category from among all tying entries will be deemed the winner from among all tying entries. Winners will be notified on or before August 31, 2015. Each local grand prize winner’s entry may be posted on the Contest Web site at pbskids.org/writerscontest in 2015.
Four (4) First Place Winners (One (1) First Place winner per grade) – A tablet computer or electronic learning devices (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) $200 USD each), and a Sponsor-specified set of Arthur® books (ARV: $30.00 each). Four (4) Second Place Winners (One (1) Second Place winner per grade) – An e-reader or electronic learning materials (ARV $100 USD each), and a Sponsor-specified set of Arthur® books (ARV: $18.00 each). Four (4) Third Place Winners (One (1) Third Place winner per grade) - An e-reader, electronic learning materials or Sponsor-specified $75.00 gift card (ARV $75 USD each, and a Sponsor-specified Arthur® book (ARV: $6.00 each). PBS reserves the right to substitute any prize for a prize of equal or greater value, at the sole discretion of PBS. Potential winners will be notified by Sponsor on or about June 27th for winner verification. Prize recipients must allow a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks from notification to delivery. Prizes are not redeemable for cash, non-transferable, and non-substitutable, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor.2015
Additional Classroom Prize for First Place National Winners
Additionally, any classroom submitting an entry that is judged to be a national winner for Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade will receive an Arthur® library of books for that classroom. The retail value of the Arthur® library of books is $90.00.
Return of Entries
The Contest administrators at local stations and those in the Independent Pool submitted to WNED will make every effort, but are not required, to return mailed entries only if accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope of an appropriate size. PBS, and or its affiliates, and WNED are not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, incomplete, returned, or illegible entries, or postage-due mail.
Rights Associated with Contest
Submission of the Entry Form constitutes permission from the participant’s parent/legal guardian for PBS/ WNED to use the participants’ name, likeness, biographical information, information and materials contained in the Entry Form, photographs, and any statements or remarks made about the Contest in advertising and promotion without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All entries, and any copyrights therein, become the sole property of PBS/ WNED. By entering, entrants’ parent/legal guardian agree to abide by the above stated rules, and warrant that their child’s/ward’s entry is their original work and does not infringe upon or violate rights of any third party, and grant to PBS/WNED the right to edit, publish, promote, and otherwise use their entry materials without permission, notice or compensation. No royalties will be paid at this or any time. By submitting an entry and Entry Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to assign all right, title, and interest in and to the entry and Entry Form to PBS/WNED and warrants that the participant’s parent/legal guardian has the authority to assign such right, title, and interest. In the event that any applicable law requires certain formalities to be fulfilled to effectuate such grant of rights, each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to cooperate with PBS/WNED to achieve fulfillment of such formalities. By submitting an Entry Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of participant, agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules. Each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to release and hold PBS/WNED, and its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, parent companies, or other affiliated companies harmless from any and all damages, losses, claims and liabilities arising out of participation in the Contest or resulting from acceptance or claiming of any prize hereunder. PBS/WNED reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate, suspend or otherwise cancel the Contest at any time. Income and all other taxes are the responsibility of the prize recipient. PBS/WNED is not responsible for any expenses incurred in connection with participation in the Contest.
Sponsor: PBS (2100 Crystal Dr., Arlington, VA 22202). The National and Independent Pool Contest judging is coordinated by WNED 140 Lower Terrace St. Buffalo, NY 14202