Part of Ep. 2102 The Eyes Have It
Credit: Courtesy of Peter Sandroni, La Merenda Restaurant, Milwaukee
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup Onion, small dice
2 Tbsp. Garlic, fresh, minced
1/4 cup Dry white wine
24 oz Tomatoes, peeled, medium dice
To taste - Any hot sauce to adjust spicy level
To taste - Salt
1. Saute red pepper flakes in the olive oil over medium to low heat in a medium sized sauce pan until red pepper flakes just start to turn black
2. Strain red pepper flakes out and reserve oil
3. Add onions to oil and saute until onions are translucent
4. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds
5. Deglaze with white wine and cook until wine is nearly all evaporated
6. Add tomatoes and cook for 20-30 minutes
7. Puree tomatoes in either a blender or with a hand mixer and pass through a fine meshed strainer.
8. Adjust spice and salt level to your liking.
9. Let cool and place in air tight container and store in cooler.
- WATCH EPISODE SEGMENTS+