WPT's Web server automatically collects and logs information about your connection to the Internet when you visit our site. The information collected allows us to make our site more useful to our visitors. We do NOT record your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, credit card number, or any other personally-identifying information. Rather, we do record anonymous information about your visit to our site. Examples of information collected include:
- The Internet Protocol Address (IP Address) of the machine you used to access our Web site. Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data. Your IP address does not identify you personally. Most Internet Service Providers use a "dynamic" form of assigning IP Addresses. This means that you may have a different IP Address each time you visit wpt.org. Also, many Internet Service Providers use "proxy servers" that provide even more anonymity for visitors.
- The date and time you visited.
- The pages you visited on our site.
- The brand and version of browser you used and the type of computer or mobile device you used.
- A list of files you downloaded or viewed.
- The amount of time you spent viewing or listening to streaming media files.
Again, these data DO NOT contain any personally identifiable information. We use the data to analyze Web site traffic and make improvements for visitors to wpt.org.
To help make our sites more responsive to the needs of our visitors, we invoke a standard feature found in browser software, called a cookie, to assign each visitor a unique, anonymous user ID that resides on your computer. Unless you voluntarily identify yourself (through registration, for example), we won't know who you are, even if we assign a cookie to your computer. A cookie cannot read data stored on your computer.
Policies for children
The Wisconsin PBS Kids section of wpt.org is for parents, caregivers and children. It is a place where adults and children can surf together that, like the programs we air, is fun, safe and commercial-free.
WPT will not knowingly accept personally identifiable information from visitors under the age of 18 who have not obtained permission from their parents or guardians. If your child sends us an e-mail with a question or comment, or enters a contest, we will respond using his or her e-mail and will not store it for future communications.
The Wisconsin PBS Kids section of the Web site makes links only to other non-commercial, educational sites directly related to WPT's programs and projects. Policies on these sites may vary from those of wpt.org.