Garden Expo Offers Spring-like Respite in February
January 9, 2013
As winter settles over Wisconsin, the 20th-annual Garden Expo brings a bit of springlike warmth to the Exhibition Hall at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison Feb. 8-10. Event hours are: 3 to 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 8; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10.
Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) and UW-Extension/Cooperative Extension Horticulture Team host the community educational event and fundraiser based on WPT's The Wisconsin Gardener program. Proceeds support WPT’s quality programming and events that serve to enrich the Wisconsin community. Advance tickets are available now online at wigardenexpo.com.
This year’s event features the newest innovations in lawn and garden tools with information and advice spread among lush green plants, colorful flowers and vibrant designs of spring.
Highlights from this year’s event include:
• The 1,200 square-foot Wisconsin Landscape Contractors Association (WLCA) Central Garden.
• Hundreds of exhibitor booths selling seeds, plants, books, tools, lawn equipment and other exciting merchandise for gardens and yards of all sizes, along with nonprofit groups specializing in mulching, various plant species, rain gardens, rock gardens, conservation efforts and more.
• More than 150 free educational seminars and demonstrations on topics including lawns, gardens, landscape design and more.
• Hands-on workshops that allow gardeners to take home a finished garden decoration, craft or other project.
• A chance to meet Master Gardener Shelley Ryan and help her celebrate as she prepares for her retirement season as producer/host of The Wisconsin Gardener.
• UW-Extension horticulture experts will be available to offer insight, plant identification, and tips to gardeners and amateur landscapers of all levels.
• An exciting Garden Expo raffle for prizes including landscape packages, equipment, decorations, tools and more.
The 2013 Garden Expo also features a number of exciting new events, including:
• Celebrate The Wisconsin Gardener – Join the host and producer of The Wisconsin Gardener as she prepares to celebrate her retirement season, coming this spring to Wisconsin Public Television. Join Shelley and Larry Meiller, host of Wisconsin Public Radio’s Garden Talk, at 10:15 a.m. Saturday for a special laughter-filled look back at 21 seasons of the beloved gardening show. And, meet Ryan throughout the Expo at the Wisconsin Public Television booth.
• Wisconsin Foodie – Arthur Ircink and Kyle Cherek, producer and host of Wisconsin Foodie will greet visitors at the WPT booth from 9-11 a.m. Saturday. The Emmy-nominated television series is dedicated to discovering the stories behind the food we eat.
• Garden to Table Dinner – WPT’s second Garden to Table Dinner will be served on Saturday evening at Garden Expo. The fundraising event will feature a multi-course dinner made with local, farm-fresh ingredients. Arthur Ircink and Kyle Cherek, producer and host of Wisconsin Foodie will be on hand for an evening of delicious fare. Tickets are $60 each and can be purchased at wigardenexpo.com.
• Plant a Row for the Hungry – Visitors to the Wisconsin Public Television booth during Garden Expo can participate in the new Plant a Row for the Hungry service project. Seed packets will be distributed and Garden Expo attendees will be encouraged to plant an extra row of produce and donate their surplus to local food banks, soup kitchens and service organizations to help feed America’s hungry. Staff from Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin Inc. will be on hand to answer questions and provide resources for donating your produce. Single-day tickets for Garden Expo cost $7 in advance and $8 at the door. Children 12 and under are admitted free. Two-day passes are available for $11 in advance and $12 at the door. Three-day passes are available in advance for $16 and $17 at the door.
Advance ticket vendor outlets are located conveniently around the state in various supporting businesses. A complete list is available at wigardenexpo.com. Visitors also can purchase advance tickets at the website. There is an additional charge for parking at the Alliant Energy Center.
Garden Expo Raffle tickets will be available for purchase at the WPT Booth. Tickets are priced at $2 each or 3 for $5. Winners don’t need to be present to win the prizes that will be drawn on the Sunday of the event. Event information and details can be found at wigardenexpo.com or by calling 800-253-1158.
All proceeds from Garden Expo support quality public broadcasting in Wisconsin. It is an event presented by WPT, Friends of WPT and UW-Extension/Cooperative Extension Horticulture Team. Garden Expo is generously supported by premier sponsors WLCA, Blain’s Farm & Fleet, and Madison Gas and Electric.
WPT is a service of the Educational Communications Board and University of Wisconsin-Extension.
Wisconsin Public Television is a place to grow through learning on WHA-TV, Madison; WPNE-TV, Green Bay; WHRM-TV, Wausau; WLEF-TV, Park Falls; WHLA-TV, La Crosse; and WHWC-TV, Menomonie-Eau Claire.