Official Title: Associate Development Specialist
The Manager of Administration and Board Relations is a multi-faceted position that acts as the primary administrative staff person for the Friends of WPT, primary information hub for WPT Development staff, and primary staff support for Friends of WPT and WPRA advocacy efforts . This role has four main functions: Board Liaison, Development Coordinator, Development writer and advocacy staff support/Office Manager. Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are a must for this position. This position reports to the WPT Development Director who also serves as Executive Director of the Friends of Wisconsin Public Television.
Specific job functions include:
- BOARD LIAISON
- Plan, coordinate, and execute logistics of Board of Directors 4-5 meetings including meeting venue, meals, travel arrangements, tech and audio-visual support, outings and other activities.
- Provide administrative support to Board President and Executive Director as needed.
- Work with Executive Director and Board President to create advance board meeting materials. Produce and distribute materials and manage public notice of meetings.
- Coordinate board meetings including preparing agendas, speakers, handouts, manage minute taking and Power Point presentations.
- Schedule and provide support for board, committee and ad-hoc committee meetings. Follow up on action items as necessary.
- Work with Executive Director and Station Manager to ensure that all board members receive comprehensive orientation prior to their first board meeting and that they get briefings after meetings that they miss.
- Ensure that all board members have meaningful engagement on a regular basis. Identify lapses and coordinate station efforts to engage board members in fundraising and other station activities including scheduling board members for on-air and in the community events.
- Support the fundraising activities of board members by providing materials, background and facilitating meetings with WPT fundraisers and other staff.
- Ensure that all board members (both current and former) are receiving regular and timely information about the organization.
- Maintain board files, reports and materials. This includes corporate meeting minute files, board orientation and resource books, committee membership lists and board policies and procedures documents.
- Maintain and provide content for Friends of Wisconsin Public Television website with WPT Online staff.
- DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
- Provide administrative support to the Development Director, including scheduling meetings, creating/maintaining calendars and arranging travel.
- Coordinate Development Department, external partner and donor meetings, including scheduling, preparation of agendas and materials, and recording of minutes as necessary.
- Track and communicate progress toward Development strategic goals.
- Schedule and manage agenda of Development meetings including preparing presentations or other training.
- Provide support for Friends and WPT donor events including organizing events and collaborating with Development staff on event planning.
- DEVELOPMENT WRITER
- Research, author, edit and manage the production of WPT’s quarterly major donor newsletter.
- Assist in writing and creation of project performance reports; donor stewardship communications and project follow up.
- Support preparation and ready access to project materials for project fundraising and other fundraising campaigns.
- ADVOCACY SUPPORT
- [Generally November through March] Serve as primary staff support for advocacy to both the Wisconsin Public Radio Association and Friends of WPT, including logistical support for board advocacy committee and station working group.
- Repurposing background materials for board members and volunteer advocates.
- Facilitate and coordinate arrangements for the board’s advocacy visits to elected officials.
- OFFICE MANAGER
- Design and maintain organization of hard copy and electronic office filing systems.
- Answer Friends of Wisconsin Public Television phone calls; take messages and field questions as necessary.
- Maintain office space and supplies as necessary.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://www.uwex.edu/bami/ethics.cfm.
- Other duties as assigned including supporting Special Events, Auction, Membership, Major Gifts & Volunteer Management by providing logistical, event and fundraising support.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Microsoft Office and other computer software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, FileMaker Pro) skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills with memory for and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain accurate schedules and records
- Ability to adapt to different communication styles
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours for WPT events
- Creativity, clarity of thought and writing structure
- Willingness and aptitude to learn new technologies
- Ability to multi-task and change focus quickly
- Ability to occasionally travel with overnight stays meeting and event support
- Ability to work independently with self-direction
- Operate a computer for extended periods of time
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in fundraising, major gifts, communications and/or marketing in a non-profit environment, or a satisfactory equivalent combination of education and relevant professional or volunteer experience.
- Commitment to the mission of public broadcasting.
- Knowledge of development principles, methods and practices
- Excellent English-language skills, both oral and written, including solid writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, adjust work schedules, provide administrative support and prioritize to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work flexible and variable hours.
- Proven success collaborating with diverse groups.
- Ability to create and maintain sound administrative and financial records and reports.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience or knowledge of public broadcasting fundraising
- Experience writing communications for large audiences
- Experience supporting executive/management
- Experience working with diverse complex organizations.
SALARY: The minimum salary for this position is $38,000. Actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package. More information is available at http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at www.careers.wisconsin.edu, using the appropriate link below. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please submit by 2/5/14 at 5:00 p.m. .PDF formatted files work best.
- A detailed resume.
- -A narrative (up to two pages) carefully detailing HOW your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at this organization.
- Writing samples that demonstrate your range (voice, subject, writing style, etc)
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three to five work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). [https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf]
- Link for External applicants. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9508. Access FAQs by clicking on “help” link
- Link for Internal applicants (current employee of the University of Wisconsin) System. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9508.
Successful candidate will be required to provide documentation of credentials. Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to:
Wisconsin Public Television
821 University Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
Under Wisconsin Statutes, if asked, UW-Extension is required to provide a list of all nominees and applicants who have not requested, in writing, that their identities remain confidential. The identities of all finalists must be released upon request.
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
An EEO/Affirmative Action employer, the University of Wisconsin-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and ADA requirements. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.