Working Title: Special Events Unit Manager
Official Title: Associate Administrative Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled, best consideration date: 05/31/14
The Special Events Unit Manager is responsible for providing logistical, fundraising, and general event support for Quilt Expo, Garden Expo, and other community events for Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) and Friends of Wisconsin Public Television. This position is part of the Development Department. The Special Events Unit Manager reports to the Special Events Manager.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with Quilt Expo project logistics and activities, including national exhibitor sales, exhibitor public relations and registration processing including database management, floor plan and booth placement management, assistance with facility planning and management, event content planning, raffle donation coordination, advisory board relations, and volunteer staffing.
- Assist with Quilt Expo underwriters, building relationships, and establishing mutually beneficial partnerships with current and new sponsors.
- Coordinate the Quilt Expo call center, which includes processing Quilt Expo registrations via telephone and web interface, fulfilling orders, and responding to customer service inquires.
- Serve as the point person for Quilt Expo bus tours, promoting the option to quilt shops, guilds, and bus tour companies, and coordinating ticket sales and confirmation materials with individual bus tour groups.
- Assist with Garden Expo project logistics and activities, including securing and confirming raffle donations, coordinating catering needs, proofing educational schedules and providing support during the event.
- Assist with Garden Expo underwriters, building relationships, and establishing mutually beneficial partnerships with current and new sponsors.
Other Community Events:
- Manage a variety of community events including preview screenings, major donor and Friends board events. Tasks include coordinating all event logistics, such as facility booking, catering, invitations, and technical needs.
- Provide support to Auction, pledge drives and other key station activities.
- Participate in regular team meetings. Assist in post-event reconciliation and debriefing.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: www.uwex.edu/bami/ethics.cfm
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Plan and execute small and large-scale events, set and meet deadlines, and work collaboratively with staff and event partners.
Ability to communicate, negotiate and build relationships with internal and external contacts.
Travel to and be present at events to direct activities of volunteers and staff.
Work evenings and weekends and long days during and in preparation for WPT events.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum two or more years of full‑time experience with event coordination, volunteer management, fundraising or development.
- High level computer skills including experience with common office applications and databases.
- Superior/effective oral and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills to productively manage multiple on-going tasks.
- Proven self-starter with a high degree of initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Understanding of database functioning and management
Development experience including fundraising and direct solicitation
Interest or experience in television/radio/media or non-profit organization
SALARY: The minimum salary for this position is $32,102. Actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous vacation, sick leave, healthcare and pension.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please submit by May 31 at 5:00 p.m.
- Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf
- Link for External applicants. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9728. Access FAQs by clicking on “help” link
- Link for Internal applicants (current employee of the University of Wisconsin) System. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9728
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. For best consideration apply by 5/31/14. Please include:
- A detailed resume.
- A narrative (up to two pages) carefully detailing HOW your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at this organization.
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three to five work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Successful candidate will be required to provide documentation of credentials. Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
Direct inquiries and Online Support Questions to:
Wisconsin Public Television
821 University Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin 53706