Official Title: Associate Media Specialist
Availability: Open until filled, Please respond by 7/28/17
The Online Content Editor will review, edit, produce and troubleshoot content for Wisconsin Public Television’s website, blog and online presence across PBS national platforms. This requires working proactively with internal and external units (Production, Outreach, Marketing, Audience Services, Education, and Development) to help define content requirements, then gather, edit and schedule site content updates in a timely manner. This individual will assist with overall planning for website maintenance, expansion and reorganization, keeps current on digital trends and engages in forward thinking about upcoming content needs. The Online Content Editor will help oversee internal office communication platforms and will work closely with colleagues to develop promotional and engagement strategies around WPT programming and events, contribute ideas for postings, and develop original content. Reports to the Online Department Manager within the Communications unit.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage wpt.org Online Content
- Manage website content strategy and content updates.
- Use various content management systems to update website content.
- Work across internal and external departments to develop content ideas to post, overseeing quality and consistency.
- Communicate regularly with various departments to ensure site content is up to date and meeting station goals and legal requirements.
- Be the point person between WPT and its production teams to coordinate content ideas and to identify cross-promotional opportunities.
- Help oversee internal and external advertisements on the website through DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Oversee Google AdWords strategy to promote WPT and its programming and educational services.
- Recommend updates and improvements to website, based on trends in the industry.
- Manage WPT content on PBS.org and in national PBS newsletters.
- Act as a training and trouble-shooting resource for WPT staff who upload videos via the PBS Media Manager console.
- Work together with colleagues to develop blog and social content based on local programming and WPT events and educational services.
- Pitch creative online projects promoting local programming, supporting WPT in its mission and goals, and ways to engage with the audience.
- Monitor emerging trends in online content and design.
- Help establish, document, and communicate organization’s online standards and practices to internal and external content producers.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Opportunity to develop position description for web intern and work with HR to distribute among useful channels. Screen and interview applicants. Work with web intern as necessary to provide daily and weekly tasks and projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience that must include minimum 2 years working directly with website editing and content production.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail when creating and reviewing content.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and successfully with diverse people and groups.
- Ability to work proactively with limited direction.
- Strong online writing ability.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Basic understanding of Google Analytics.
- Experience with managing and posting content to an organization’s social media platforms.
- Photography/Photo editing
- Videography/Video editing
- Ability to work in both independent and collaborative settings.
- Ability to work non-standard hours in support of major activities and emergencies.
- Review, edit, produce and troubleshoot content for Wisconsin Public Television’s website and online presence.
- Define requirements and gather website update content from internal and external partners.
- Plan for website upkeep, expansion and reorganization as needed.
SALARY: We expect to pay in the high-30s to low-40s. Actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous vacation, sick leave, health insurance and pension.
HOW TO APPLY: For best consideration, external applicants may submit all application materials online at our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 7/28/17. Search for job ID #13277. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. Please include: A resume and a detailed cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position; and a list of three professional references with contact information including e-mail.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-262-5221; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.