Working Title: Membership Specialist, Sustaining Giving
Official Title: Office Operations Associate
Unit: Wisconsin Public Television, University of Wisconsin-Extension
Position Type: University Staff 100% Position
Location: Madison, WI
The Membership Specialist will coordinate the operations of WPT’s ongoing monthly giving program, process direct mail gifts, oversee alternative giving platforms and provide back-up staff support for all membership data operations.
As part of WPT’s membership fundraising team, the regular weekday work schedule for this position will shift to cover afternoon and evening hours during on-air drives. This position is also subject to required weekday and weekend overtime during drives and around calendar year-end, a time of peak workload. WPT’s on-air drives currently take place in March, early May, August and late November/December for a total of 45-50 days per year (subject to change).
- Manage WPT’s Sustainer Program (40%)
- Implement retention and capture program for ongoing monthly giving. Monitor monthly donor retention and execute a proactive and assertive communications strategy to maintain Sustaining donors on file, including email, telemarketing and direct mail. Identify and propose new strategies to improve Sustainer retention rates.
- Serve as central staff resource for Sustainer giving policies.
- In cooperation with Annual Giving Manager, implement strategies to upgrade monthly giving amounts and increase giving by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- Lead exemplary member service for WPT Sustainers, working closely with Audience Services, Volunteer Manager and other Membership Department staff. Resolve issues and address requests from members, communicating directly with members by phone, mail and email.
- Process Sustainer gifts by credit card and EFT promptly and with an exceptional degree of accuracy.
- Carry out Sustainer acknowledgements, including processing data for annual giving acknowledgements and assembling and mailing welcome cards.
- Execute the year-end autorenewal process for all sustaining memberships.
- Membership Data Processing (30%)
- Direct mail Receipt entry:
- Accurately enter donation receipts.
- Maintain direct mail schedule and manage timely entry accordingly for accurate mailings.
- Review donor information, make address, e-mail and name corrections to account as necessary.
- Infer and make decisions on donor intent when vague or unclear on reply forms.
- Follow protocol for security of personal information.
- Generate and mail installment notices to members.
- Coordinate Alternative Individual Giving Programs (15%)
- Matching Gifts
- Communicate with matching gift organizations and members to ensure that WPT maximizes eligibility for matching gift opportunities and meets all donor expectations.
- Steward and grow the matching gift program by acknowledging current matching gift companies both individually and publicly, and identifying new opportunities to promote matching gifts among members.
- Process matching gift contributions.
- Vehicle Donations
- Work with Friends of WPT Finance Manager to reconcile vendor revenue statements.
- Process vehicle donation transactions and ensure that members are acknowledged as appropriate, including assignment of member benefits.
- Third-Party Giving
- Develop and carry out processes to manage contributions received through third-party giving platforms, such as private payroll deduction services. Communicate processes and policies to Membership Department and Audience Services staff to provide effective customer service to donors who contribute through third-party platforms.
- Ensure that donors receive appropriate credit and acknowledgement for gifts through third-party platforms.
- Matching Gifts
- General Membership Program Support (10%)
- Serve as back-up to Fundraising Information Systems Manager, including providing regular shift coverage for data management processes during on-air pledge drives and maintaining the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out regular data management operations to support general membership fundraising efforts as needed.
- Supervise volunteer data entry during on-air pledge drives, filling assigned shifts as needed each drive.
- Other duties as assigned (5%)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Process membership transactions, manipulate data and manage member records with exceptional accuracy and timeliness to meet deadlines.
- Use software for communication and data processing.
- Handle member information with discretion and in accordance with data security protocols.
- Identify, analyze and address opportunities to streamline processes, provide improved service to members and increase fundraising revenue.
- Provide timely and open communications to achieve mutual understandings.
- Learn and be able to perform different operational roles based on business needs.
- Collaborate productively and professionally with staff, volunteers, members and others.
- Provide customer service of the highest quality (phone, email and in-person).
- Communicate positively and effectively with members, volunteers and staff about Wisconsin Public Television and the value of public broadcasting.
- Respond to sensitive situations involving donors or customers quickly and with patience, tact and diplomacy.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years of related experience. This could be obtained either through paid employment or substantial, responsible volunteer involvement.
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively with a wide range of people, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational ability to manage thousands of time-sensitive member transactions and interactions annually.
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills to solve problems and manage and improve revenue-generating activities
- Availability and willingness to work evenings, weekend and overtime hours during fundraising events and times of peak activity.
- Resiliency to adjust to a fluid work environment, juggle multiple priorities and manage stress.
- Ability to carry out tasks and meet deadlines independently.
- Interpersonal skills to cooperate productively with a work team.
- Commitment to respectful, open workplace communications.
- Success in encouraging and supporting an inclusive and diverse working climate.
DESIRABLE JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word (e.g. mail merges) or Excel (advanced functions)
- Experience with Filemaker Pro or similar relational databases.
- Experience managing records and/or transactions in a nonprofit constituent relationship management system (e.g. Team Approach, Raiser’s Edge, etc).
- Experience in public broadcasting fundraising, either paid or as a volunteer.
SALARY: The range for this position is $14.25 per hour to $21.80 per hour; actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at www.careers.wisconsin.edu. This is job #10700 Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please submit by Aug 21 at 5:00 p.m. PDF formatted files work best. Please include:
- A detailed resume.
- A narrative (up to two pages) carefully detailing HOW your experience compares to the job duties and qualifications for this position.
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you read the frequently asked questions (FAQs). https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf
If you are a current UW System employee please use https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu/psc/hrs-fd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_EMP.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_POST&Action=U&HRS_PERSON_ID=100374.
Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
DIRECT QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS/INQUIRIES TO:
Wisconsin Public Radio
821 University Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
The University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identities of “final candidates” must be revealed upon request. According to the Attorney General, “final candidates” under Wisconsin law means the five candidates who are considered most qualified for the position. See Wis. Stat. Sec. 19.36(7)(a)..
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
An EEO/Affirmative Action employer, the University of Wisconsin-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and ADA requirements. Persons of color, veterans, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.