Associate Development Specialist
The Membership Specialist supports all membership operations within the Friends of Wisconsin Public Television, with primary responsibility for benefit management and fulfillment; online giving; and marketing and oversight of retail sales, including the online store. The Membership Specialist plays an active role in on-air membership drives, including crafting messaging and recruiting and coordinating talent. Reports to the Manager of Annual Giving.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Member Benefits: Manage all aspects of member benefit operations, including researching and proposing potential gifts and donation levels; placing orders and managing vendor relationships; communicating benefit information to staff and volunteers and receiving, packing, and shipping items.
- Ecommerce: Manage and maintain appearance of online store (“shopWPT”). Create and execute an annual, integrated multi-channel marketing plan and evaluate results. Process and fulfill orders. Provide financial and accounting information to appropriate departments.
- Online Giving and Email Fundraising: Draft, send and monitor e-renewal and other fundraising emails. Manage and maintain appearance of online giving forms, with support from design and web development staff as appropriate. Analyze and report on email and online giving statistics.
- On-Air Fundraising: Recruit and schedule on-air talent for pledge breaks; schedule staff for data entry supervision duties and create script outlines for talent; crafting messages in line with PBS and WPT communications and fundraising priorities.
- Major and Mid-Level Gift Support: In coordination with Major Gifts Unit, manage mid-level and major donor renewal mailing and renewal calling process. Keep mid- and major level letters and calling scripts current and collaborate with staff on printing and mailing. Track major donor renewals and implement intervention strategies. Support cultivation efforts by securing and sending gifts, such as DVDs, books, WPT logo items, etc.
- Coordinates with Manager of Annual Giving and Finance staff to create annual expense and/or revenue budgets for member benefit management and online store.
- Attends and actively participates in television membership and development staff meetings. Offer suggestions/ideas for improving service, increasing membership, and other fundraising activities.
- Performs general clerical duties such as filing, copying, preparing mailings.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://www.uwex.edu/bami/ethics.cfm
- Other duties as apparent or assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide customer service of the highest quality (phone, email and in-person)
- Communicate positively and effectively with members, volunteers and staff about Wisconsin Public Television and the value of public broadcasting
- Respond to sensitive situations involving donors or customers quickly and with patience, tact and diplomacy
- Receive, sort, package and ship retail sale orders and member gifts
- Diligent time-sensitivity to meet deadlines and keep donors and Member Services fully informed of factors affecting a scheduled delivery
- Use software and web applications for communication, benefit fulfillment and online fundraising operations
- Identify, analyze and address opportunities to streamline processes, provide improved service to members and increase fundraising revenue
- Provide timely and open communications to achieve mutual understandings
- Learn and be able to perform different operation roles based on business needs
- Collaborate productively and professionally with staff, volunteers, members and others
- Ability to lift/carry/sort material weighing 10 pounds routinely and up to 25 pounds occasionally.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two years of experience in non-profit fundraising or marketing, either through paid employment or substantial, responsible volunteer involvement
- Exceptional writing skill, with close attention to style and grammar
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with a wide range of people
- Organizational ability and attention to detail to manage thousands of member benefit interactions annually
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills to manage and improve revenue-generating activities
- Ease and comfort using and learning web applications and software systems including spreadsheets, email systems, online fundraising applications and constituent databases
- Availability and willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends, during pledge drives and other events
- Ability to adjust to a fluid work environment and juggle multiple priorities.
- Commitment to respectful, open workplace communications
- Success in encouraging and supporting an inclusive and diverse working climate.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in public broadcasting
- Experience in retail or online sales
- Knowledge of software applications for fundraising, such as constituent databases (e.g. Team Approach) and online giving tools (e.g. Convio Luminate)
- Experience creating, sending and evaluating email campaigns
- Knowledge of basic web design, including HTML and CSS
Salary range minimum is $38,500 with actual pay depending on experience and accomplishments. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package; the overview of benefits can be seen here: http://www.uwsa.edu/hr/benefits/uben.pdf
HOW TO APPLY:
Job is open until filled, however, application review will begin on July 27; please apply online at our Applicant Gateway (www.careers.wisconsin.edu) and include:
- A detailed resume.
- A narrative (up to two pages) detailing HOW your experience relates to this position, comparing to the job duties, qualifications, and functions listed in this job description.
- A list of 3-5 professional references (in reference section) including e-mail. At least one must be a supervisory reference.
- Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). To do so, paste the following URL into your browser. External applicants can also view the FAQs after accessing the online system by clicking on the "Help" link in the upper right corner.
- External applicants, please paste the following URL into your browser: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?SiteId=29& Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9120
- Current University of Wisconsin System employees, please paste the following URL into your browser: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu/psc/hrs-fd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_EMP.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_POST&Action=U&HRS_PERSON_ID=100374 Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9120
The successful applicant will be required to provide documentation of educational credentials. Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
DIRECT QUESTIONS OR INQUIRIES TO:
Human Resources Associate
Wisconsin Public Television
821 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
Under Wisconsin Statutes, if asked, UW-Extension is required to provide a list of all nominees and applicants who have not requested, in writing, that their identities remain confidential. The identities of all finalists must be released upon request.
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
An EEO/Affirmative Action employer, the University of Wisconsin-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and ADA requirements. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.