WISCONSIN PUBLIC TELEVISION
Official Title: Associate Development Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled; for best consideration apply by June 9
The Manager of Administration and Board Relations is a multi-faceted position that acts as the primary administrative staff person for the Friends of WPT, primary information hub for WPT Development staff, and primary staff support for Friends of WPT and WPRA advocacy efforts . This role has four main functions: Board Liaison, Development Coordinator, Development Writer and Advocacy Staff Support. Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are a must for this position. This position reports to the WPT Development Director who also serves as Executive Director of the Friends of Wisconsin Public Television.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Board Liaison
- Plan, coordinate, and execute logistics of 4-5 Board of Directors meetings and numerous committee and ad-hoc committee meetings per year. This includes coordinating meeting venue, meals, travel arrangements, tech and audio-visual support, outings and other activities. Create advance Board meeting materials; produce and distribute materials and manage public notice of meetings. Prepare agendas, speakers, handouts, manage minute taking and board presentations including print and PowerPoint.
- Provide administrative support to Board President and Executive Director.
- Work with Executive Director and Station Manager to ensure that all Board members receive comprehensive orientation prior to their first board meeting and that they get briefings after meetings that they miss.
- Track Board engagement. Identify lapses and coordinate station efforts to engage Board members in fundraising and other station activities including scheduling Board members for on-air and community events.
- Support the fundraising activities of Board members by providing materials, background and facilitating meetings with WPT fundraisers and other staff.
- Ensure that all Board members (both current and former) are receiving regular and timely information about the organization.
- Maintain Board files, reports and materials. This includes corporate meeting minute files, Board orientation and resource books, committee membership lists and Board policies and procedures documents.
- Follow Open Meeting guidelines and maintain content for Friends of Wisconsin Public Television website with help from WPT Online staff.
- Design and maintain organization of hard copy and electronic office filing systems; answer Friends of Wisconsin Public Television phone calls; take messages and field questions as necessary.
- Development Coordinator
- Provide administrative support to the Development Director, including scheduling meetings, creating/maintaining calendars and arranging travel, as well as researching donors, working with data including the donor database, and creating reports.
- Track and communicate progress toward Development strategic goals.
- Schedule and manage agenda of Development department meetings including scheduling presentations or other training.
- Work on WPT donor events including taking the lead in organizing events and supporting Development staff on event planning.
- Development Writer
- Research, author, edit and manage the production of WPT’s semi-annual donor newsletter.
- Assist in writing and creation of project performance reports; donor stewardship communications and project follow up.
- Draft and edit proposals and prepare support materials in assistance with grant submissions.
- Support preparation and ready access to project materials for project fundraising and other fundraising campaigns including maintaining Development SharePoint site.
- Advocacy Support
- [Generally November through March] Serve as primary staff support for advocacy to both the Wisconsin Public Radio Association and Friends of WPT, including logistical support for Board advocacy committee and station working group.
- Facilitate and coordinate arrangements for the Board’s advocacy visits to elected officials.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Comply with UW, UWEX and BAMI code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu
- Other duties as assigned including supporting Special Events, Auction, Membership, Major Gifts, and Volunteer Management by providing logistical, communications & mailings, event, and fundraising support.
- Microsoft Office and other computer software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, FileMaker Pro) skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills with memory for and attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with a variety of communication styles.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours for WPT events and ability to travel occasionally with overnight stays for meeting and event support.
- Creativity, clarity of thought and writing structure.
- Ability to work independently.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years’ work, volunteer experience or education equivalence in fundraising, communications and/or marketing in a non-profit environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including solid writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff as well as Board members.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize to meet deadlines, and manage multiple assignments simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to create and maintain sound administrative and financial records and reports.
- Ability to work flexible and varied hours, and travel some weekends and overnight to Board meetings.
Desirable but not Required Qualifications
- Commitment to the mission of public broadcasting.
- Knowledge of Development principles, methods and practices, especially public broadcasting fundraising.
- Experience writing communications for large audiences.
- Experience supporting executive management and boards,
- Experience working with diverse complex organizations.
Salary: We expect to pay in the low to mid-40s but actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package. More information is available at https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/summaries/.
How to Apply: For best consideration, external applicants may submit all application materials online at our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 6/9/17. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS Please include a cover letter explaining how your experience compares to the job duties and qualifications of the position, and the names and contact information for at least three references, including at least one supervisor. Finalists will be asked for a writing sample that demonstrates writing skills.
Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact person listed above.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.