WISCONSIN PUBLIC TELEVISION
POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Official Title: Associate Artist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, WI
Availability: For best consideration, apply for Friday, July 14
The Production Graphic Designer is a member of the Communications department of WPT and reports to the Design Manager. This position is responsible for the design and production of communication pieces following established graphic standards for publications, various promotional collateral, exhibition graphics, corporate identity and marketing materials primarily for print and online media.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Work closely with supervisor and senior designers to produce a variety of collateral that support community events (Quilt Expo, Garden Expo and Auction) such as brochures, banners, signage, ads and other related marketing materials in print and online.
- Assist with the production of Airwaves program guide, following page templates and layouts, in cooperation with other staff. Airwaves is published 12 times a year.
- Responsible for ordering basic correspondence materials such as business cards, letterhead and envelopes for WPT, Friends of WPT, Wisconsin Media Lab, ECB, etc.
- Prepare and finalize files and then ensure all materials are correctly filed, backed up, cataloged and archived.
- Complete purchase orders, secure bids or work with state-contract vendors to fulfill purchasing requirements.
- Comply with University and BAMI code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu/broadcasting-and-media-innovations-ethical-guidelines.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work products and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Design Manager.
- Graphic design skills with high level of ability to use current Adobe CS software.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while working including extended workdays or work weeks when on deadline.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well with all levels of staff as well as vendors.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently and be resourceful when challenges occur, or when schedule is unexpectedly disrupted and when under tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of full time or equivalent professional graphic design experience.
- High level of expertise with current version of Adobe CS software: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat and Lightroom.
- Working knowledge of digital and offset printing processes, techniques and terminology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- High level of organization, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience with implementing graphic standards across media.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with other staff, management and vendors.
- Familiarity with WPT projects and processes, especially as it relates to Quilt and Garden Expos.
- Familiarity with UW-Extension print buying policies.
- Familiarity and experience with WPT and Friends of WPT purchasing policies.
The salary range for this position starts at $36,790; actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply
For best consideration, please apply through www.careers.wisconsin.edu by Friday, July 14, 2017. Applications must contain all of the following:
- A resume with a one-two page cover letter detailing how your experience relates to the qualifications and duties of this position;
- Either a link to an online portfolio of your graphic design work; or three non-returnable samples of your graphic design work; and
- A list of three professional references with contact information and e-mail address; at least one must be a supervisory reference.
Direct inquiries and online support requests to: Carla Anderson, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, 608-263-2163, email@example.com.
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). To do so, paste the following URL into your browser. External applicants can also view the FAQs after accessing the online system by clicking on the "Help" link in the upper right corner. https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
The successful applicant will be required to provide documentation of credentials. Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.