WISCONSIN PUBLIC TELEVISION
Official Title: Associate Broadcasting Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled, for best consideration apply by 9/1/2017
Produce and contribute to WPT’s online and broadcast news content. Collaborate with other digital and broadcast news staff to create original content. Responsible for assisting in the production of statewide news and public affairs broadcast programs; including weekly news analysis program that covers state issues and politics and live public affairs specials. Responsible for engaging with WPT audience through digital, broadcast and social media platforms. This position reports to the Executive Producer of News and Public Affairs.
- Research, write, produce and post WPT content (drawn from multiple internal and external sources) for fast turnaround publishing to WPT’s digital platforms; this includes some original reporting. Integrate images, audio, video, links to other resources and other content as appropriate.
- Create multiple multimedia presentations using content that could include photo slideshows, graphics, data visualization, tables, extra audio, video, sidebar stories, etc.
- Assist in production of broadcast news and public affairs content for shows, series, segments and specials. Work as Assistant Producer on weekly public affairs program. Research news stories, pre-interview and schedule guests, write show scripts, supervise production aspects of broadcasts – including graphics, editing, etc.
- Work in close collaboration with WPT’s social media manager, digital manager and executive producer of news and Public Affairs to create public interaction and dissemination of engaging content through social media.
- Create/contribute content to other digital properties, like WisContext, Wisconsin Vote, Wisconsin Life, WPT Education, etc. Closely collaborate with staff of those projects.
- Reliably communicate to colleagues to coordinate production needs for assigned projects.
- Stay current on best practices in broadcast and online journalism and recommend ways to enhance WPT’s offerings.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across the state.
- Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in Ethical Guidelines for Editorial Staff: http://bami.uwex.edu.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in all workplace interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Knowledge of and strict adherence to high journalistic standards with skill in all facets of broadcast and digital news production, including writing for broadcast and the web, copyediting, photography and photo editing, and audio/visual production.
- Excellent writing, grammar, and proofreading skills. Knowledge of AP style.
- Aural and visual acuity to capture and edit pictures/video/sound for non-broadcast news platforms.
- Ability to work for sustained periods at computer work station.
- Must be available to work weekdays, some evenings and weekends as needed, in support of major activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 or more years’ experience working directly in broadcast and online journalism. (Work performed in school can be counted toward experience.) Demonstrated ability in using images, links, graphics, etc., to help tell a story online.
- Strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail when creating and reviewing content.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and successfully with people from diverse backgrounds and to support diversity in the workplace.
- Able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Cloud programs such as Photoshop, Audition and Premiere (or equivalent programs).
- Experience working within a CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc.).
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong knowledge of Wisconsin current events and issues.
- Proven ability to work in both independent and collaborative settings.
- Experience shooting, editing and working with online video and audio.
- Knowledge of best practices when creating and disseminating content for different digital platforms.
We expect to pay in the $40,000 range with actual pay dependent on experience and skills. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application through our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 9/1/17. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. All of the following must be received for your application to be complete: A cover letter outlining how your experience and skills relate to this position, along with a detailed resume; a digital file or link to 3-4 examples of your writing work; include a notation of what you did for each sample; and a list of three references including email addresses; at least one must be a supervisory reference.
Questions? Contact: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Television, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706; 608-263-0477; email@example.com.
A criminal records review will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
Employment is contingent on establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPT is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.