Wisconsin Public Television
Official Title: Associate Outreach Specialist
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, WI
Wisconsin Public Television has long been a critical component of the state’s educational infrastructure, serving as a learning partner and resource to parents, the early childhood community, and professional educators. Community education and engagement are extensions of our mission as a community service organization, joining our formal K-12 classroom and curricular work. As an educational nonprofit community organization, WPT is committed to working with and within the communities of our state to inspire engaged citizenship, promote understanding of diverse ideas, convene community conversations and giveall of our citizens a voice in public conversation. This position will be an important part of bringing that mission to life - sustaining and reimagining Wisconsin Public Television’s role as an essential learning and information resource in the spirit of the University and The Wisconsin Idea.
Wisconsin Public Television’s Community Education Specialist is responsible for managing event and project logistics for WPT’s publicly-focused community education and engagement events, activities and statewide partner projects, including managing timelines, budgets, project communications, and reporting. Reporting to the Director of Communication and Community Collaboration, and working in close partnership with the WPT Education, Promotions and Development departments, the Community Education Specialist has primary responsibility for the daily operational management of projects that are part of WPT’s diverse and growing statewide community partnership model. This position will also assist in the event logistics and oversight for key station events and screenings.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the creation, logistics oversight and management of assigned community education and engagement projects including budgets, timelines, internal and external project communications, and overall project management.
- Work across internal WPT departments collaboratively to develop and manage projects and events, ensure efficiency and effectiveness, and ensure projects represent the broadest vision and opportunities possible for the station.
- Work with University partners and key external community partners statewide on projects and events as identified
- Work with PBS and other system station colleagues as warranted to ensure projects are developed and managed using best practices, and that outcomes align with station priorities.
- Gather data and supporting evidence for project reports and proof-of-performance activities including messaging that support the station’s priorities and projects
- Assist in the development and management of Get Up and Go Weekend, an annual statewide early learner and family-focused event focused on the health and wellness of our youngest viewers
- Develop, coordinate and staff public screenings and community events as directed in support of station priorities
- Overnight, weekend and other travel commitments particularly within Wisconsin, are an important part of this position
- Comply with UW Extension and BAMI code of ethics: http://bami.uwex.edu
- Other duties as assigned, particularly in support of promotions, engagement and education efforts and projects
- Organize and lead events and/or other public facing projects, with/in community organizations and settings especially in partnership with organizations that do not often put on public events
- Detail-orientation and data-driven thinker
- Strong written communication and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, cloud sharing/storage (OneDrive, Sharepoint) and in digital and social spaces
- Ability to travel overnight and weekends
- BA degree, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Experience successfully working with, and across departments or teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including stong writing skills
- Collaboration skills to work successfully in a team and empower others
- Successful experience managing work and projects in a highly unsupervised environment
- Experience working with multiple generations
- Experience working in an educational or nonprofit setting
- Experience working with external partners or vendors on events and projects
- Interest in working with evaluation and/or program design
- Mission-driven innovator with a passion for community and creating impact
- Fluency in more than one language
The minimum for this position is $36,790; actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, employer paid training and development, generous paid vacation and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please apply through www.careers.wisconsin.edu by March 24. Applications must contain a) A detailed resume b) a one-two page cover letter detailing how your experience relates to the qualifications and duties of this position; and c) a list of three professional references with contact information and e-mail address; at least one must be a supervisory reference. Direct inquiries and online support requests to: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public TV, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, 608-263-0477 or email@example.com.
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. The University of Wisconsin Extension complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
As a unit within the University of Wisconsin-Extension, Wisconsin Public Television is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. We are committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.