The Airwaves Editor/Publicist is primarily responsible for editing and producing the program guide and membership tool for Wisconsin Public Television (WPT) and its nearly 60,000 members. Airwaves is published 10 times a year – monthly except for double issues for December/January and March/April. This position will also work as part of WPT’s promotion department, taking on writing and other promotion duties, including project and event promotion.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Editing of Airwaves Member Magazine
- Work closely with supervisor and others in the Membership, Programming, and Promotion and Design Departments to develop production schedules, budgets, editorial content and promotion strategies to ensure that the program guide meets the needs of members and presents WPT in the best light possible.
- Obtain program information and descriptions from PBS, independent producers and other sources and condense into concise, entertaining and informative program listings. Prepare text in design-ready templates using design and word-processing software.
- Work with a graphic designer on images and other layout considerations.
- Work with programming department to ensure that the publication’s program schedule details are accurate.
- Ensure that all proofs of the publication’s material are circulated to and collected from numerous internal and appropriate external parties prior to publication. Complete final edits.
- Work with printing and mailing vendors to ensure appropriate product is produced within the guidelines set forth in the respective bids. Prepare print orders and attend press checks, possibly outside of the city of duty station.
- Write and edit copy for the Web on assigned projects. Maintain WPT’s online Press Room.
- Complete other program information-related tasks as part of WPT’s Promotion Department
- Provide updated program and schedule description information to various television listing services and interested parties. Distribute updated program and schedule information to other internal and external entities.
- Input all program information into other databases as needed for program information distribution.
- Manage online schedule at wpt.org. Edit for style and copy. Maintain high level of content on schedule pages and serve as onsite resource for WPT program information.
- Perform other writing and promotion duties for other WPT projects as assigned by the Promotion Manager. Work closely with Communications Specialist and interns to complete writing and editing of publicity materials for assigned projects, including news releases, publications, other print pieces, special and promotional events’ supportive materials, Web communication and advertising.
- Work with Promotion Manager to implement WPT's social media goals, including researching and responding to social media tools and trends, evaluating how their uses align with WPT's audience demographics and implementing new tactics to engage audiences through social media. Help shape strategies that best engage public broadcasting audiences.
- Work with Promotions Manager to research, plan and implement promotions events throughout Wisconsin on behalf of WPT and with partners and other collaborators
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://www.uwex.edu/bami/ethics.cfm
- Demonstrates respect for others in all workplace relationships and interactions.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Promotion Manager.
- Strong and proven writing skills
- Project management experience in deadline environments
- Strong and proven editing skills
- Excellent, proactive interpersonal communication skills
- Research, production materials sourcing
- Familiarity working with graphic designers and printers
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum two to five years experience in copywriting, editing, marketing, publishing or journalism (any platform)
- High level of computer skills with common office applications
- Experience working with and managing social media content, including commons platforms like Facebook, Twitter and blogs
- Experience working in online environments
- Experience working with and across teams
- Works well in deadline driven environments
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with membership or consumer publications
- Understanding of, or experience with, In Design and other design software
- Experience working with email marketing platforms/software
- Experience writing and/or disseminating press releases and other publicity tools
- Interest or experience in event management
- Interest or experience in public media
SALARY: The range for this position is $36,436 to 54,638. We expect to pay closer to the position minimum. Actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please submit by 1/27/14 at 5:00 p.m.
- A detailed resume.
- A narrative (up to two pages) carefully detailing HOW your experience compares to the job duties, qualifications, functions and desirable functions for this position at this organization.
- Three writing samples that demonstrate your range (voice, subject, writing style, etc)
- Three samples of publications or work you have edited
- Three samples of social media content you either created or edited, from any social media source (electronic samples are fine)
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three to five work references, including at least one supervisory reference.
- Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). [https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf]
- Link for External applicants. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9501. Access FAQs by clicking on “help” link
- Link for Internal applicants (current employee of the University of Wisconsin) System. Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 9501.
Successful candidate will be required to provide documentation of credentials. Prior to appointment to this position, a criminal records review will be conducted. UWEX complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
Direct inquiries and Online Support Questions to:
Wisconsin Public Television
821 University Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
Under Wisconsin Statutes, if asked, UW-Extension is required to provide a list of all nominees and applicants who have not requested, in writing, that their identities remain confidential. The identities of all finalists must be released upon request.
An offer of employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
An EEO/Affirmative Action employer, the University of Wisconsin-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and ADA requirements. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.